Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat

Today's Run:
Distance: 6 miles
Time: 1:00:45
Pace: 10:06
Calories: 872
Power Song: Grace Kelly by Mika

This is a Saturday run. These runs are my slow, long, and easy runs. Nothing hard, nothing to push. Simply to add on the miles. These are runs where I get to spend more time focusing on everything else but my actual run, the times, the splits, and the tempo. These are the runs where I do most of my thinking. 


This particular run my thoughts went deeper. I thought about our family struggles and the issues we face on a daily and monthly basis. I thought about solutions, resolutions, and ideas to help us. I don't believe it would be appropriate to disclose all my thoughts from that run on this post but it would be fair to say that my wife and I had conversations like we've never had before, definitely not in a bad way. In fact, these were good, deep conversations that brought us closer. We became more united and had a more common goal. We have a hard, long road ahead of us but I believe it's worth it. 

The overall theme of our conversations was about us, and our future, and all that meant for us. I will just write briefly the general topic that we spoke about without listing any details.


I believe if anyone wants to achieve greatness in anything, there has to be some measure of sacrifice. Nothing great comes by quickly and easily, no career, no financial success, no sporting achievement, and definitely no loving relationship and marriage. Nothing valuable in life comes without sacrifice and effort.

In my short 28 years of my life I have met thousands of people in various settings. I'm sure you have too. We notice how people react to conflict, challenges, and temptations. Yesterday I helped a buddy of mine with his car. I asked him about his kids and his wife and responded, "Actually, I'm not married anymore. It sucks. I wish it didn't turn out this way. We just got divorced." Now I see this guy almost every day of the week and I never noticed what kind of pain and emotional heartache he was going through but he kept his cool through it all. Then I know another person who as soon as they break a nail, the whole world has to know about it and make sure they all feel sorry for her. So, with that said, we all know people who act differently to whatever challenges life throws at them.

My post today is to hang in and hang on. Don't give up. Whatever you're going through, hang tough. Don't quit just because the road is too long or too hard. Don't throw in the towel because you don't think you can do it. 

I'm reminded of an English leader, Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill and his first speech to the House of Commons in 1940.
I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this government: "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat." We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land, and air, with all our might and with all our strength that God can give us. That is our policy. You ask, What is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory - victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror; victory, however long and hard the road may be. [Churchill: the Life Triumphant, American Heritage, 1965, p. 90]

A few weeks later Churchill went back to Parliament. We shall not flag or fail." We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender. [Churchill, p. 91]


I truly loved this run and I hope for more runs like this. I loved that I had an eternal companion to share all my thoughts with after my run. I am grateful for my health that allows me to run. I'm so grateful for my loving family who have nothing but pure love for everyone else in the family.

Though we have struggles as a family, we have a vision of our future. We have a common goal and destiny. I love that we are both putting in effort. Sure, we may cry together and then shortly laugh together because of how pathetic our situation but every day we give our 100% to make it to the next day.

Here's for tomorrow. Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment