Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Meet the Track

Today's Run:
Distance: 3.42 miles
Time: 30:15
Pace: 8:50
Calories: 452


I did something I have not done in a very long time. Stepped foot on a track. But I did. I woke up with my full intention of running about 8 miles but decided to drive up the road a mile and hit up the local high school and their track just as the sun was rising at 5am. 

"I can do 8 miles around the track, right? Let's see 1 mile equals 4 laps, which means 8 miles is 32 laps. Oh yeah, I can do this... totally!" 

I have mentioned before that I watch random sports, any sport I'll pretty much watch. One of the sports I love to watch are the London 2012 Olympic events; swimming, running, shot put, triathlon, javelin, water polo, and anything else it offers. I love the competitive nature of the athletes, I love the environment and atmosphere. 


London Olympic Stadium
With all the enthusiasm and inspiration flowing through my blood I was running on the track. Not another person in sight, just me and the bounce below me worn out Nike running shoes. After one lap, "Are there yet?" It clearly had been awhile since I have ran on a track. It was different, cannot put my finger on it though. My competitive side came out of me. I was ready to compete at a higher level. I looked at myself as an athlete, sub 5 min mile athlete. Below is truly how I felt.



I stopped running after a few miles because I wanted to try something I haven't done in over 10 years. Run ONE mile. Just one, just to see where my short game is. One mile to show myself I haven't lost a step. One mile to prove to myself I still have it. One mile to set the benchmark for excellence. I started with my goal of a sub 6 minute mile. 

What I found was a reality check. I got slapped in the face with a brick wall of fatigue. After 200m I was behind 5 seconds behind pace, 1 lap down and I was behind 12 seconds. That was my best lap. I was tired. I was in pain. I was not fit. Two laps down and I wanted to call it quits. My thoughts were of quitting, trying again later, procrastinating, and jumping ship. These thoughts were circling my mind but soon realized, with each thought, guess what? I'm taking another step. 



So I kept going. I kept running on. I decided to turn my thoughts to positive thoughts. If I don't finish this now, I'll never know what my mile time is. If I don't finish this now, what other hard things in my life will I quit before I reach the finish line. 

Alright alright, long story short, I finished my eternal one mile in 7:14. I'll live with it, but it's only my benchmark.

What's your mile time?

Here's the fastest mile run. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment