Thursday, June 25, 2015

The World in Union

Today's Run:
Distance: 5:07 miles
Time: 48:28
Pace: 9'33"
Calories: 745
Power Song: The World in Union by PJ Powers

I thought about moments and milestones on my run today. This week there was cause for celebration. Not for anyone really, but for me. Today, on this run I completed 900 miles with Nike Plus. I'm almost to my 1000 mile mark. I completed the 900 miles in only 250 runs with an average pace of 9'53" per mile. 




This week was more than just another running week. This week celebrated a moment in history. This week, 20 years ago my country, the Republic of South Africa miraculously won the 1995 Rugby World Cup. This was not just about winning the biggest rugby tournament that comes around every 4 years. This tournament and everything leading up to this tournament was bigger for the country of South Africa. Only 5 years prior to the RWC, Nelson Mandela was released from a 27 year prison sentence. He soon became the first democratically elected black president of the country. There was much tension between the blacks and the whites of the country. There were mental, emotional, and physical preparations of civil war within the divided country. The message of Nelson Mandela to all the nation was one that no one ever expected. It was a message of godliness, it was a message of maturity. The message was of forgiveness and reconciliation. All the people of South Africa were brothers and sisters, no longer divided. 



One of the greatest moments was the interview with Francois Pienaar after the final whistle. The interviewer, David said to Pienaar, "Francois, you had 65,000 South Africans here, tremendous support." To which he replied with, "David, we didn't have 65,000 South Africans, we had 43 million South Africans." The crowd cheered and the flags waived in support. The support of rugby, the logo of the Springbok, and the colours of the green and gold really brought the country together in a way that no one ever foresaw. 


I could go on about the greatness of the national leader, "Madiba" but I won't. It is safe to assume that I celebrated this epic moment with my favourite movie, Invictus while wearing my Springbok jersey, the Green and Gold.









No comments:

Post a Comment